ROYAL OPERA HOUSE LIVE: THE NUTCRACKER (2016)
Saturday 19 DECEMBER 2020
Screening commences at 7pm
Join us at Covent Garden Hotel on Saturday 19th December for a screening of The Royal Ballet's performance of The Nutcracker, streamed from the Royal Opera House.
Start the evening with a delicious meal in Brasserie Max, before taking your seat in Covent Garden Hotel's luxurious private screening room to watch The Nutcracker at 7pm. The Royal Ballet celebrated Peter Wright’s 90th birthday with his much-loved production of this beautiful classical ballet, danced to Tchaikovsky’s magnificent score. Starring Lauren Cuthbertson, Federico Bonelli, Francesca Hayward and Alexander Campbell.
- £70 per person including a three-course menu in Brasserie Max and live screening of ‘The Nutcracker’
Add a glass of Pommery Brut Royal, NV £10
- £30 per person for screening only
For reservations and further information:
T: 020 7806 1007
Peter Wright's interpretation of The Nutcracker has been enchanting children and adults alike since its first performance by The Royal Ballet in 1984. Lev Ivanov's 1892 ballet combined with Tchaikovsky's sumptuous, iconic score are presented in a festive period setting with vivid designs to make this a charming and magical production.
Loosely based on the story by E.T.A. Hoffmann, the ballet begins in the 19th-century German home of the Stahlbaums, where they are hosting a lively Christmas party. The period setting is captured in opulent detail by Julia Trevelyan Oman's designs, which include authentic Christmas tree decorations that are magically brought to life. Wright's choreography ingeniously incorporates surviving fragments of the ballet's original material, including the sublime pas de deux for the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince. But in emphasizing the relationship between Clara and the Nutcracker, the production also gains a touching subtext of first love.
- Chef’s selection of canapés
- Mushroom and celeriac soup, truffle oil, croutons (vg) (gf)
- Prawn and avocado salad, Melba toast
- Seared beef carpaccio, pomegranate, orange and Parmesan (gf)
- Roast turkey, chestnut stuffing, chipolatas, cranberry compote
- Grilled salmon, sprouting broccoli, sautéed spinach, lemon beurre blanc (gf)
- Squash risotto, goat’s cheese, sage, toasted pumpkin seeds (v) (gf)
- Dark chocolate mousse, honeycomb (v)
- Apple Tart Tatin, salted caramel ice cream (v)
- Vanilla crème brûlée, shortbread (v)